Friday, December 3, 2010

For a Crowd: Squash Casserole

I love squash casserole, especially when it is still recognizable as squash and not just some gooey cheesy mess. Don’t get me wrong, I love gooey cheesy messes, but not so much in this dish. I like to sauté the squash in a little olive oil until they just start to become tender and then stir them in with everything else and bake it off, with a little panko on top for some crunch! This recipe is super easy and a great way to sneak some veggies into even the pickiest eater’s diet.
Sincerely Loving Food,
Lainey














Squash Casserole
6-8 Yellow Squash or Zucchini
1 Onion
½ C Sour Cream
½ tsp each Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and dried Italian herbs
1 C Grated Cheddar Cheese
¾ C Panko Bread Crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut squash and zucchini into quarter inch slices and cook in a sauté pan over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they become just tender. In the mean time dice the onion and throw it in the pan with the squash for the last couple of minutes. Mix the sour cream, cheese and seasoning in a medium mixing bowl, and add the squash and onion as they become tender and mix everything together. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray or rub with butter and pour in the squash mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs (and more cheese, if desired, on top). Bake for about 20 minutes, until nice and bubbly.

*You can substitute herbs de Provence for Italian herbs if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Squash casserole is one my favorite dishes and I'm like you, I don't want it all mushy and gooey...I tweak the recipe just about every time I cook it. Lately I've been putting crushed up Cheez-Its on top. It's REALLY good!!

    Hayley

    ReplyDelete