Tuesday, January 29, 2013

For 2: Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken and Dumplings is one of my favorite comfort foods; more hearty than a soup, but still warm and creamy; it is really a great thing to sit down to after a long, hard, cold day.  I was inspired to make chicken and dumplings in the crock pot after seeing this recipe from Bubble Crumb.  That recipe is great, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't change it up a little, and I gotta be me, ya know?  Truth be told that recipe is a true chicken and dumplings, it is pure unadulterated chicken and dumplings, but I like to add a few veggies to make it a more well rounded meal, or at least make me feel better for eating thirds seconds...whatever you want to do is up to you...whatever sets your panties on fire (what up Duck Dynasty?).  Sorry, if you don't watch Duck Dynasty, in which case imagine I just said whatever makes you happy.  Back to the point - make this chicken and dumplings, it is good, really good, quite easy and when you get home from work it will be sitting there on the counter waiting for you to dive in.
Sincerely Loving Food,
Lainey

Crock Pot Chicken and Dumplings
2 large chicken breasts - uncooked
salt/pepper and poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1.5 C chicken stock or 1 can of broth
1 diced onion
2 handfuls (about 10) baby carrots, or 2-3 carrots peeled and roughly diced
3-5 stalks of celery, roughly chopped
1 C frozen peas, thawed or one small can drained and rinsed
small can of refrigerator biscuits, like 4 or 5, I like Grands, but whatever works

Put your chicken in the crock pot and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and one or both of the seasonings.  Dump in the cream of chicken soup, stock, onion, carrots, and celery.  Set the crock pot on low and let cook for 8 hours, after this time it can sit on the warm setting for a little while if you need.  About 40 minutes before you want to eat, pull out the chicken and shred with 2 forks, it should come apart really easy.  Put the chicken back in the crock pot along with the peas.  Cut each biscuit into quarters, and throw them on top of the mixture in the crock pot, DO NOT STIR!  Turn the crock pot on high, put on the lid and let cook undisturbed for 30 minutes.  Then ENJOY!

Note: I also think this would be delicious with sliced mushrooms mixed in, but I wouldn't put them in until the end like the peas

No comments:

Post a Comment