Monday, June 14, 2010

For a Crowd: Redneck Caviar

Who doesn’t love chips and dip? I mean seriously, I think chips and dip are like the best snack, appetizer, maybe even meal of all time…However, for outside events in the summer creating a perfect dip can be a little challenging due to the frequent usage of mayonnaise, cream cheese or sour cream in the recipes. Yesterday for tennis I made what I like to call Redneck Caviar. It was a huge hit and it is always a great choice for outside events because there is no refrigeration necessary, and OMG it couldn’t be any easier.

Redneck Caviar
2 cans Original Rotel
1 can Crisp Summer Corn, drained
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
½ medium red onion, diced
1 Cup Zesty Italian Dressing (typically - about half a bottle)

Mix all ingredients together. Enjoy with tortilla chips!

See I told you it was totally easy. You can “dress it up” with some chopped cilantro or parsley, but there is so much flavor you really don’t need it. If you aren't crazy about black beans, you can use blackeyed peas instead, also delicious!  This can be kept in the refrigerator for like a week and the longer it sits the better. It is one of those recipes where the leftovers are better than the original. I like to make mine at least an hour before it is going to be served so all the flavors can mix, and for some reason I think the Tostitos Scoops are the best chips for it but that is probably all in my head.  I just think you get a much better salsa to chip ratio...

No comments:

Post a Comment