Friday, August 19, 2011

For 2: Hot Dog Bun French Toast


I love to throw a couple of hot dogs on the grill for a great summer supper.  But, I hate that hot dog buns are sold in packages of 8 because there are only 2 of us in our house and we do not need to each eat 4 hot dogs.  So, what the heck am I supposed to do with those other hot dog buns?  Make French Toast – duh!  I know you think I am crazy, but trust me this really works!  And you can barely tell they are hot dog buns and that is only from the way they look, the taste is pure French Toast…try it this weekend, hot dogs (or these chicken sausages) for dinner on Friday and French toast for breakfast on Saturday!  Winner! (sorry I couldn’t help myself…I am so glad its Friday).
Sincerely Loving Food,
Lainey
Hot Dog Bun French Toast
4 hot dog buns
4 eggs
1 tblsp vanilla extract
1 tblsp brown sugar
Butter and oil
Pinch of salt
Oil and butter
Confectioner’s sugar and maple syrup for topping if desired

Break the eggs into a shallow dish and mix with vanilla, brown sugar and salt.  Open up the hot dog buns flat and dip in the egg mixture and allow them to sit for a just a minute and absorb it then turn over and repeat on the other side.  Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium high heat, then add the hot dog buns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until just golden brown.  Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar, syrup, fruit to your liking and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That is such a great idea!! I'm gonna try that! I like to recycle hot dog buns into garlic bread to go with pasta dishes.

    -Hayley

    ReplyDelete