Monday, July 29, 2013

Refried Black Beans

Friday night I had some girl friends over for tacos and sangria.  It was a complete blast!  The girls brought over chips and dips, tons of dips: Texas Caviar (a variation of my Redneck Caviar), Trader Joe's Cheese Dip and even homemade guacamole and a delicious dessert...maybe I can get her to share the delicious chocolate chip cookie bar recipe!  After we drank five a couple rounds of sangria I made Tilapia Fish Tacos and heated up my favorite refried black beans that I had prepared earlier in the day.  These beans have literally become my go to Mexican side dish, where ever I take them people LOVE them and ask for the recipe...they are waist line friendly (high in protein/low in fat) and so delicious I didn't have time to grab a picture before they were all gone.  This recipe is also great to cut in half if you are only cooking for 2 or just as easy to double or triple if you are cooking for a large group.  I hope you enjoy!
Sincerely Loving Food,
Lainey
Refried Black Beans
2 Cans Black Beans
Approx. 1 C chicken or vegetable stock
1 tsp each: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
 approx. 1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese

If preparing to eat immediately preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drain and rinse black beans and pour into small pot.  Pour enough stock into pan to almost cover beans.  Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes.  Remove half of the beans to a small bowl and mash them anyway you choose.  I use a pastry cutter but an emersion blender or even the back of a wooden spoon also work well.  Smash and mash the beans until they are almost a paste, add mashed beans back into pot and stir to incorporate with whole beans.  Pour the beans into a small baking dish and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.  If preparing in advance stop here, dish can be refrigerated for a day or so.  Or bake for 12-15 minutes or until beans are bubbling and cheese is melted.  Enjoy, especially with these fish tacos!

1 comment:

  1. yum!! I need to try these! I get tired of "plain" black beans from the can :)

    ReplyDelete